Model Number JWL-1236
Use it to make wood round.
Model number JWL-1236
Swing (maximum diameter the lathe will accept): 12″
Lathe bed length: 36″
Speed type: Variable (changed with ratchet arm)
Speed range: 550-3600 rpm
Headstock taper: #2 Morse
In person training and sign off required. Training typically takes 10-20 min.
- When to use a lathe and basic principles
- No moving blade, but still dangerous
- Cover everything in Usage Guidelines and Safety Tips sections
- Go over various chisels and head/tail stocks
- Go over distance of tool rest from turning piece
- Instructor demos proper technique of setting up machine and turning a piece of wood.
- Trainee demonstrates technique of using the machine
- Trainers: Sign off trainee using the Slack command /membership > equipment authorization.
- Choose the appropriate accessory for the headstock (faceplate, spur drive center, safe driver center, 4 jaw chuck, etc)
- Drive centers should only be #2 Morse
- Ensure that your piece will clear the tool rest and the lathe bed before turning on the machine
- Lock down the banjo and tail stock before turning on the machine
- The knockout bar is used to hold the chuck in place for removal and for the removal of the spur drive from the back of the headstock
- Clean off all shavings and sawdust when you’re done
- Face mask is required
- Lung protection is encouraged
- Closely tie back any long hair. No long sleeves, dangling necklaces, or jewelry on hands.
- When turning the machine on the first time, stand off to the side (and ensure no one else is standing in the perpendicular path)
- Know your grain direction
- Use a live center to stabilize your piece as much as possible to avoid having your piece going bye-bye
- Only adjust the tool rest when the machine is off
- Always anchor your tool on the tool rest
- Move the tool rest when sanding and polishing
- Sand on the bottom of the piece and only on the lowest RPM
- When polishing, use paper, not cloth, so it tears if it catches.
- Speed adjustments should be done with the machine running
Files & External Resources